As we find ourselves moving deeper into the throes of autumn, it’s no surprise that many of us will be thinking back to those glorious sunny days and dusky warm nights we enjoyed only a few weeks ago. Your holiday glow is probably starting to fade, but did you know that the effects of the sun can actually last a lot longer?
It isn’t uncommon to find your skin feeling dry after spending a couple of weeks, or even a few days in the sun. Dry skin is uncomfortable, annoying and can also be quite sore, especially if you are prone to conditions such as eczema or psoriasis. Particularly at this time of year, you might notice your legs seem dry and flaky, and the skin on your face is a little tighter and drier than usual.
The good news is that there are many ways to ensure your skin looks radiant and healthy, all year round, especially after time in the sun. All you need is a little knowledge and some fantastic products, and luckily here at The Fresh Skin Clinic we have both!
6 easy ways to rehydrate and restore your skin:
- It sounds obvious, but drink more water! If there’s one, inexpensive thing you can do each and every day that will make a difference to your complexion and skin, it’s to drink at least 2 litres of water per day. If you struggle to hit 500ml, then work your way up to 2 litres by filling a water bottle and setting yourself a goal to drink two refills before lunch, and two after. You’ll soon find that you’ll get used to this and be ready for more, and your body will thank you for it!
- Reduce the exfoliation and consider a light skin peel instead. Gentle skin peels containing small amounts of glycolic or lactic acid slough away the top dead layer of our skin (known as the Stratum Corneum) revealing brighter, fresher skin cells. We also recommend Teoxane Night Peel, which is available from The Fresh Skin Store (http://freshskinstore.com/products/teoxane-teosyal-radiant-night-peel-skincare)
- Turn down the heat in your shower! You might well enjoy a long, hot shower but unfortunately your skin doesn’t! Try and limit your showering time to a maximum of 10 minutes and opt for a warm, as opposed to hot, temperature. Don’t forget to moisturise your skin afterwards. We love Cetaphil’s Restoraderm Skin Restoring Body Moisturiser (http://freshskinstore.com/collections/cetaphil/products/cetaphil-restoraderm-skin-restoring-body-moisturiser?variant=2751977092) and Phasilab's Instant 24 hour Comfort Fluid (http://freshskinstore.com/collections/instant-skin-care-by-phasilab/products/instant-phasilab-comfort-24hr-fluid?variant=681889605)
- Use a micellar water on your face. Micellar water is the new wonder product to hit our shelves, and it’s for good reason. Not only is it a fantastic make up remover, it actually helps to nourish very dehydrated skin, with no rinsing required! It looks and smells like normal water, but don’t let that deceive you! It consists of ‘micelles’, which are microscopic oil molecules that float in the water, and attach to make up, oil and dirt on your face, swiftly removing them. A firm favourite is Phasilab’s Instant Demake S, which is also available at our online store (http://freshskinstore.com/collections/instant-skin-care-by-phasilab/products/instant-phasilab-demake-s-sensitive-makeup-remover)
- Use mineral make up and avoid matte or powder products. Dry skin is make up’s worst enemy, and the wrong sort of product can leave your face looking cakey, and emphasising the dry areas. The gloMinerals range is designed to work with problem skin and is perfect for those who suffer from dry skin, acne or rosacea. We have a range of their most popular products available to purchase through The Fresh Skin Store (http://freshskinstore.com/collections/glominerals/face)
- Use a moisturising SPF – even when it’s not summer. Your skin needs protection all year round – the higher the factor, the better. Phasilab Instant Protect has some lovely products that not only offer SPF50, but are non-greasy, perfect for sensitive skin and free from parabens, fragrance and alcohol. View the full range on our online store (http://freshskinstore.com/collections/instant-skin-care-by-phasilab/products/instant-phasilab-protect-milk-spf-50?variant=681889641)
Prolonged time in the sun can lead to other skin troubles apart from dryness, and it isn’t uncommon to notice more freckles, moles or some pigmentation. If you think that a current mole is looking different, then answer the following questions:
Asymmetry – Do the two halves of the area differ in shape?
Border – Are the edges of the area irregular or blurred?
Colour – Is it uneven? Are there different shades?
Diameter – Is the diameter over 6mm?
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the above, or if you are in way concerned about your skin, then we recommend you speak to your GP and get it checked out as soon as possible.
A brand new addition to The Fresh Skin Clinic is the Cryopen. Using a short freeze cycle of nitrous oxide, benign moles, pigmentation and skin tags can safely be removed in a matter of seconds.
We also offer gold standard laser treatments for Rosacea, the removal of thread veins and sun damage, plus a wide range of prescribed treatments to treat acne and melasma.
If you’d like to come and have your post-summer skin checked over, or discuss any other skin concerns you might have, please call us on (01625) 619 383 to book your appointment.